Friday, October 1, 2021

Sometimes you're late to the party...

 So we hadn't bought a game console since the Wii in 2008. In large part, it's because we tend to do most things together and we've yet to find a video game we both enjoy or all three of us enjoy. Geli likes single player open ended games (Zelda, Metroid, that kind of thing), Sophia likes games where she can be social in, and the game itself doesn't really matter much to her (Minecraft, Little Big Planet, Among Us). And I like many kinds of games, but haven't really played much recently. Some of my favorite games have been Mortal Kombat (II and III/Ultimate mostly and on the SNES or arcade), Golden Eye(N64), Perfect Dark (N64), Smash Brothers (N64), Super Street Fighter II (SNES), Donkey Kong Country (SNES), Super Mario World (SNES), and on PC I was obsessed with Warcraft II and III. You get the point, I think. Old ass fuckin' games haha. Never had a NES (sadly, and badly wanted one). Never had a GameCube. And we bought the Wii once we were working and living in Milwaukee. And it was a bit of a let down, but mostly because we never found a game we could all enjoy (outside of World of Goo, but it didn't have a lot of replayability) and we didn't use it very much. I ended up buying a bunch of old NES, SNES, and N64 games from the WiiShop or whatever and played those, though not much either. Fast Forward to a couple months ago, and Baudy upgraded her Nintendo Switch to an Animal Crossings version, and offered to sell me her old Switch. I bought it off her, and she sold it to me with Smash Ultimate. And let me say, I've been quite into it. I hadn't really played newer Smash games more than a few matches here and there when at a friend or relative's house. And they were different enough from the N64 version I was used that I always felt like a noob haha (we had never bought Brawl for the Wii either). All this to say, that I hadn't played a console game in over a decade and probably 2 decades since I played for any significant amount of time. But since I got the switch, I've really gotten into it. The graphics are so good (give me a break, this is where I left off in graphics)! 

Not gonna lie, I still think this one is the best! 
These graphics were amazing haha

And Smash has soooo many play modes! haha I've completed Adventure mode. I've unlocked all characters, and currently, I am trying to collect all spirits. 

100% w00t! 47 hours play time?! Yikes! 

Not even sure if that's possible (since there's DLC spirits and what not), but I'll wait to get every single one I can and then see how many are left. Currently at 1417 out of 1486 spirits. Definitely hits the "collector" in me haha. 

1417/1486...almost there!

So anyway, I have yet to play online, I will eventually. I just didn't expect to get this much playtime out of the Switch or Smash Brothers Ultimate. Pleasant surprise, definitely been enjoying it :) I know the Switch is old news, but it's new to me. 

3 comments:

  1. That's amazing, even if the Switch isn't a powerhouse of a gaming device, it's games look and feel amazing. Glad you are enjoying Smash again, I didn't get hooked up on it, and Sergio and Diego are waaaaaay to good to even think of getting on their level now, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the N64 graphics look...dated, haha. The Switch is never old news to me, glad you're enjoying it so much

    ReplyDelete