Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spices!

So we use a lot of them. Not necessarily at the same time, but definitely a lot of them. Part of it because we are always trying new things(Geli browses vegan recipe blogs and has to try 1-2 NEW recipes each week!). Another part because we try a lot of diverse cuisines, and another because I put a lot of extra things that most people wouldn't in food(I call them secret ingredients haha).


I am feeling the need to nest now(lol!). We need a houuuuuuusssseeee!!! So I can order or make or figure out a way to store our massive spice collection in a more orderly way! haha Okay, that is not why I want a house, but it is certainly something that I cannot do until we have a house. Because as most of you know, moving things is not fun.


And having to move them across the ocean, is well, pretty much impossible...as we will most likely have to do in the coming months :(


Just an idea of what we use. Ask me what we use it for, and I will tell you. They were all bought for a recipe, or are used regularly.

Sea Salt
Black Salt!! 
Seasoned Salt
Peppercorns
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cumin
Paprika
Cayenne Pepper
Chili Powder
Crushed Chili
Oregano
Thyme
Basil
Marjoram
Turmeric
Cloves
Allspice
Garam Masala
Curry Powder
Parsley
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Ginger
Mustard Seeds
Coriander

Sage
Nutritional yeast

Along with these, which are also part of our cooking arsenal:
White wine vinegar
Apple Cyder vinegar
Maple Vingar(A revelation since we moved to the UK!)
Sriracha(Cock sauce)
Various hot sauces
Soy Sauce
Sunflower oil
Toasted Sesame Oil
Olive oil
Liquid seasoning(the weak Bragg's substitute we found over here)

So there you go...we like spices. And food. Very much!

4 comments:

  1. i love spices!! i remember back in the day, i only used/had garlic salt, onion salt, lemon pepper, salt and pepper hahhahha oh man, how sad haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, mental note: there are actually more than 3 kind of spices... :P. I don't even know some of them, haha. Like thyme, what is that?

    @Angie if you think that's sad, I read your comment and thought those were a lot of spices, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woaaah, You guys seriously use all of those?

    @Angelica is the black salt the one you told me to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, I have used most of them, there are some that I don't know (yet), but thats because I haven't had the need or a recipe that requires it,

    I love spices too and like you and Angelica I like to try new things and sometimes make my own recipes.

    ReplyDelete