Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sometimes the bees just leave....

and that can't be good...I finished watching a documentary called "Vanishing of the Bees", and it was very interesting.


I had no idea that bees were shipped all over the place to pollinate crops. Like I knew that they were needed, and essential to biodiversity and whatnot, but I didn't know that if they didn't take bees to an apple orchard, or an almond tree field, or a watermelon farm, etc. etc. there would be nothing to harvest. And that we have to take them there, and take them away after a couple weeks because since we grow everything in mono cultures, there is only food for them there while that particular crop is flowering. After that, they take them to another field, and repeat..A bee has to individually pollinate every piece of fruit we eat!! And they are all dying at alarming rates!(60%-80% of bees die each season, and pesticides seem to be at fault, along with many other factors) But yeah, I had an idea that we "need" bees, but no clue how helpless we are without them. Without bees, we starve...

4 comments:

  1. I watched a documentary some years ago with my dad (I think it was in PBS) about this issue, I jokingly said that if things continued this way man would have to do it himself, next images show some Chinese farmers doing it, I was speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are pretty horrible of thinking ahead, the messes we get into...wow, another reason to support organic farming

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I didn't know bees were this important. :/

    ReplyDelete