Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sometimes you finish a book...

I recently finished reading Fast Food Nation. We bought it at one of the many second hand charity shops around here, for 50 pence I think. Geli read it first, and when we got it, I was reading the Carl Sagan book, so it had to wait.


I finally finished it, and it was very good. I was aware that the fast food companies are terrible in just about every way, but the level to which they infest our government, affect policy, regulation, labor laws, minimum wage, workers, immigrants, change towns, etc. is just baffling. A very good read. I already don't eat at fast food restaurants, but it was for vegan reasons. Honestly though, even if I wasn't vegan, I would not eat there. They stand for so many things I disagree with, that I can't give them any of my money(after all, that is how you vote in a capitalist economy).

This is one of those books that I feel(and I could be wrong), that many people won't read because they are afraid of the implications on their daily choices, and they would be right. But does not learning about it, or not wanting to know really change reality?

4 comments:

  1. No, it doesn't change reality, ignorance is not bliss, it's just denial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I'm with Geli here. Aww dude :/ you're right, I shouldn't be supporting fast food chains! I've read that book and idk why I still do it. :( No more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Mari...they way they treat workers, rip off the government(in tax breaks), destroy unions, etc, etc is despicable. (Also, it is kinda funny that sergio and luis didn't comment here lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha, I guess it is kinda funny :P

    ReplyDelete