Friday, September 26, 2014

Sometimes you script...

Today I had a lunch date with Geli, it was really awesome. We don't do that often, but we should. We had some fantastic DC Vegetarian sandwiches and ate and talked by the river :)

On another note, I had been blowing off a project assigned to me for like a week(in the sense that I did other projects and tasks first, not that I was just doing nothing haha). And to be honest, I was afraid of it because of how tedious it seemed. The request was to grant this one user, access to print to all of the printers on this one print server(110 printers). Sounds simple in principle, but the groups are broken down per facility, that grant access to these printers. And as usual, there is more than one way to do this. I didn't want to add all the facility groups to her account because that would over permission it, since she that also grants access to the shared facility drives. I also didn't want to add her to the printers directly because that's not good practice, you want to add her to to a group that has access to that, not her directly to the object being permissioned. Anyway, so I was dreading it because I didn't want to add this group manually to 110 printer objects. So I decided that I wasn't going to do that and looked into it. Using subinacl(a command line tool that allows you to modify permissions) I was able to do it with just one line of code :D And that feels like a mega win!

I don't know that any of you would be able to use this, since it's kind of a one off, but here is what I used:

 C:\Windows\system32>subinacl /printer \\PrintServerNameHere\* /grant=YOURDOMAIN\theADgroupYouAreUsing=P

So more of a command than a script, but I can modify that to no end to suit any future en masse permission requests. Anyway, this was way cool to me :) And it's Friday!

Pics! (these are all phone pics, the S5 takes decent pictures as long as there's enough light)

Biking across the river on the Hawthorne bridge


The Hawthorne bridge from the Riverfront park

Downtown PDX! 

Philly "Cheese Steak" sandwich! 

"Chicken Salad" sandwich! 

The building Geli works at :) 

Such an awesome food cart! :D 

2 comments:

  1. Dc veg is my top sandwich place! And cool deal on the script :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay lunch dates! and good job on the script (:

    ReplyDelete